Taking care of ourselves contributes largely to our overall happiness. Every week, we should set aside certain times for self-care. I believe that self-care should be tailored for each of us. Different strokes for different folks, am I right? (Ugh, I’m being cheesy again).
Anyhow, I created a journal page that’s all about self-care and ensuring that we all do enough self-care activities for the week as well as reflect on the week’s wins and what we’re grateful for. The free printable will be at the bottom of this article. (Article may contain affiliate links)
What is Self-Care?
It’s pretty self-explanatory but it’s insane how easy it is to ignore. Self-Care is essentially “me time” with an emphasis on relaxation, health and wellness. Self-Care goes full circle around these 3 categories: Physical, Mental and Spiritual.
The Importance of Self-Care
It happens all too often for many of us: We forget to take care of #1. Maybe you’ve been swamped with work. There might be a lot going on in your personal life. There are tons of circumstances where self-care can be neglected.
When we neglect self-care, stress can become overwhelming and honestly, we can end up looking like crap. (I’ve been there a lot – hello dreaded dark circles!)
We need those precious hours of relaxation, reflection and rest! If not, we don’t perform at 100% and we all want to stay on top of our game, right?
Lack of Self-Care can lead to:
- Burnout, Stress & Overwhelm
- Decreased focus and performance
- Depression or an increase in feelings of depression (Those who suffer from depression can sometimes find it difficult to engage in self-care. It’s that much more important to keep it part of your routine).
- Decreased feelings of Self-Love
- A lack of Motivation & Inspiration
- Sleep issues
A lack of self-care can lead to a plethora of issues so it’s extremely important to keep it in mind as part of your routine! I see it all the time: people who put themselves last on their to-do lists. Here’s your reminder: There is nothing selfish about taking care of YOU.
You have to care of yourself!
Awesome Self-Care Ideas
I’ll always stand strong in my belief that “X” will work for Zelda and not for Arya, while “Y” will work for Arya and not for Zelda. We have to find out what works best for us, personally. Some people can meditate and others aren’t into it. Luckily, there are an abundance of self-care activities out there.
Here is a quick list of awesome self-care ideas: (try them out and figure out your faves):
- Do a Face Mask (I like to keep this as one of my weekly tasks) Here is a 4 Pack of my Favorites!
- Take a Detox Bath (another weekly on my list)
- Meditation (15 minutes a day works best for me)
- Go on a Walk
- Spend a half hour in the sun
- Read a Great Book
- Journal (Using prompts is an excellent way to get started with journaling – Here is a list of Journal Prompts.)
- Have a Power Nap (if you’re able. I’ve yet to master a “quick” nap)
- Go to a Spa
- Yoga/Pilates at home workout
- Get Creative (Painting, sketching, write a story, do a DIY craft)
- Do an Internet Detox (These are great for so many people).
- Plan a Date Night
- Go Swimming
- Have a daily “tea time” (Here’s the BEST Green Tea in existence!)
- Watch something you love
There are so many self-care ideas! Anything that helps you relax, rejuvenates you or allows you to “unpack” emotionally is self-care.
What a Week of Self-Care Looks Like
Depending on your personality, you can change up what your weekly self care looks like, alternating activities between weeks. Or, maybe you’re a person who likes to stick to a schedule of what you know you like. Either way, a week of self-care, (in my opinion), should include at least 5 different activities – ideally 7-10 so you’re getting something for yourself every day.
Set aside time daily when you can to have some self-care in your routine. The above picture is a what a great week of self-care looks like.
Keep Yourself at 100%:
Think of yourself as a machine Like Bert, haha. You need to power-up throughout the week. Find what works for you and stick to it. Fall in love with taking care of yourself.
Let me know your favorite self-care activities in the comments! I hope you all find the perfect self-care routine that works for you. I hope this printable is helpful.
If you’re a writer – join my FB group for Monthly writing challenges HERE.
Much Love <3