I wait all year for Black Friday and hold off making certain, larger purchases until the deals roll around. It’s totally worth having an entire fund set up specifically for Black Friday deals. You save a ton of money! It’s already October, so I figured I would share with all of you the ultimate list of tips & tricks for Black Friday. I’ve been snagging insane deals on Black Friday for years, and these are all the best ways to get the most awesome deals. (I’ll throw in some printable checklists & sheets for you within this post).
1. Be Ready
Since Black Friday deals start earlier every year, you’ll want to be completely ready. Be prepared for the best deals and time your route. Make sure you know what deals you’re going for and, of course, make sure you’re ready money-wise. Know when each store you’re going to is opening, (or beginning their Black Friday deals).
2. List All the Deals You’re going For
Make a list of everything you want to grab on Black Friday. I like to do the majority of my Christmas shopping that day, so have a list of everyone you’re buying for. Often times, I’ll run across a deal I didn’t expect and it turns out, it’s the perfect gift for someone on my list.
Black Friday Shopping Planning Sheet
Have 2 Lists with you on Black Friday:
- Everything you want to buy (or look to buy)
- Every Person you want to buy for
3. Set a Budget
Okay, this has been a problem for me on EVERY Black Friday. The deals are sometimes too good to simply pass up. I always end up going WAY overboard, maxing out credit cards and overspending. Setting a budget and sticking to it is a really, really good idea.
It’s also an EXCELLENT idea to have a “Black Friday Fund” in place because you’ll likely never find deals that good on any other day of the year.
4. Don’t Neglect the Online Black Friday Deals
Hello Amazon! Seriously, a lot of stores have deals on their websites too. For certain items, it’s totally worth it to purchase from home. Check online deals before heading out. It’s CRAZY out there – (somewhat like “The Purge” for shopping), so getting as much as you can online is a great idea. Don’t forget about CYBER MONDAY either! It’s a thing 🙂
5. Research ALL the Deals
Grab as many ads as possible. I would also highly recommend getting the app: BLACK FRIDAY DEALS 2018. It will have all the Black Friday ads available for you to look at and even allows you to save deals so you’ll know exactly where you want to go.
6. Use Every Reward Program Available & Sign up for Any you don’t have
Rewards programs are available at almost every story nowadays. Make sure you’re signed up for the Rewards systems at every store you’re going to be visiting. If you’re not already signed up and you know you’re going to be going to a specific store – GET ON THEIR REWARDS PROGRAM BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT on Black Friday. You’ll rack up tons of rewards points if you go as hard as I do on Black Friday.
7. Get your Big Items First
Things like TV’s, Computers and appliances should be the first items you’ll want to grab. People wait all year for big ticket items to go on sale so be sure and cross them off your list FIRST. You don’t want to miss a fantastic deal on a 70″ TV because you waited in line for 2 hours on clothing. Seriously – get your most expensive items first!
8. Get the SHOPULAR App
This app is amazing all year, but especially on Black Friday. You’ll get to see the best in-store AND online deals for that day. It’s a great way to catch the online deals and find out which stores are going to have the best prices.
9. Know the BEST STORES for Black Friday Deals
There are a few stores I KNOW to go to on Black Friday because I’ve gotten the best deals on those days. Here are the BEST stores to go to grab the best deals out there:
- JC Penny’s
- Best Buy
You simply have to check out those stores on Black Friday. They have wild deals and you’ll end up saving a bundle on your Christmas shopping at those stores. But, remember, check the ads so you can get your biggest savings out of the way first!
10. Divide & Conquer
Have a shopping buddy. This will make it easier to grab the best deals. If you have multiple items you want at one store, the two of you can split up and make sure you grab everything on your list. A shopping buddy is a MUST on Black Friday. Groups are even better!
11. Don’t Forget the Small Stuff
Even on smaller items you know you’re going to need, buy it on Black Friday. It’ll be the cheapest you’re going to get it. Think about stocking stuffers and items you use daily also. The deals are TOO GOOD to miss. Here are some items to think about:
- Wrapping Paper & Gift Tags (You’re going to need them anyways to wrap all of your finds. Grab it on Black Friday when it’s at bottom dollar).
- Personal Care Products (Makeup, Hair Care, Skincare and vitamins will all be CHEAP on Black Friday).
- Gift Sets (Be on the lookout for these on Black Friday, you’ll save a bundle).
- Blue-Rays & DVD’s
- Office Supplies
- Holiday Decor
12. Know the BEST items to Buy on Black Friday
Like I said, I usually wait until Black Friday before buying certain items because I know they’ll be the cheapest. Here is a list of items to consider purchasing on Black Friday to save a TON:
- TV’s (Almost EVERY store that sells televisions will have amazing deals on Black Friday)
- Appliances (Check Sears – they usually have incredible deals on appliances)
- Vacuums (Target is a great place to look for these)
- Winter Coats & Outerwear (JC Penny’s has some pretty awesome deals for these on Black Friday)
- Tools (Again, check Sears)
- Gaming Consoles (You’ll never get a gaming console at a better price than on Black Friday. Check Target, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Best Buy & Khol’s for these Black Friday Deals)
- Console Games & Computer Games
- Tablets, E-Readers & iPads (Best Buy & Sears)
- FitBit, Apple Watches & Smart Home Devices
- Boots, Shoes & Clothing (Look at the ads for these items – they’ll be deals on them everywhere so find what you’re looking for a make that list!)
13. Get Every Coupon & Coupon Code you Can
Make sure you find every single coupon and coupon code you can get your hands on, (even if you don’t plan on using it). People are all out to save a ton on Black Friday and will likely swap coupons & deals with you while waiting in line. Remember, EVERYONE out on this day is looking to save as much money as possible and get the best deals. You’d be surprised how friendly people can be while you’re waiting in line.
Talk to other customers. You’ll probably find out about deals you may have not known about.
14. Don’t get Suckered with Ad-ons
Do you really need an extended warrenty on certain items? Likely not. Opt out of the expensive ad-ons that will really pile up if you’re not careful. You want to get the most out of every dollar on Black Friday. Use the money on the items themselves rather than warranties and ad-ons.
15. Time it Out
Certain things are only on sale during specific times. Make sure you KNOW the times, and use that to plan which stores you’re going to at which time.
16. Dress Comfy
You’re going to be out there for awhile, (if you’re like me, anyway), likely having to move around quickly and stand A LOT. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing so you don’t feel like you’re dying half way through the day/night.
17. Check out these Websites & Get these Apps
To get the best deals possible, there are sites out there that will help you. Apps too! Here are some websites & apps to check out:
- iBotta App
- Shopular App
- Slick Deals App
- Shopkick App
- Krazy Coupon Lady for BEST deals & Coupons
18. Buy Discounted Gift Cards to use on Black Friday
There are a couple of websites, such as Ebay, where you can get discounted gift cards for the stores you know you’re going to be hitting up on Black Friday. Take advantage of these, as you’ll save even more!
19. Always have a Plan B
Sometimes, sadly, you’re going to miss out on certain big ticket items like TV’s & computers. Have a plan B for the bigger items you know you REALLY want. You’ll still save. For the bigger stuff, have a couple different places you know the specific item you want will be on sale. You’ll thank me later if an item you really want runs out of stock just before you get there.
20. Use the Amazon App
There is a feature on the app that will price check items for you while in store. You could end up saving a bundle using this feature.
21. Use the Opportunity to Save for other Holidays & Events
Like I’ve said, the deals on Black Friday are the lowest you’re going to find so take advantage of that and buy for birthdays and other events on this day also. Like I keep saying, MAKE A LIST. Have a family member’s birthday coming up – buy the gift on Black Friday!
Other Important Tips:
- Don’t buy what you don’t need. (I know some deals can be tempting, but if you don’t need a new set of cookware – don’t buy it JUST BECAUSE it’s on sale. Only get what you need & what you’ll use).
- Black Friday is basically an entire WEEK now so be sure and check sales on ALL the days that week.
- Again, don’t forget about CYBER MONDAY!
- Check as many ads as you can the week of Thanksgiving. (& Take them with you on Black Friday)
- Coffee will be your best friend. (You may be out for a longgg time. Grab some coffee and make sure you’re up & alert). Staying up later will likely get you even more deals.
- Join Mailing lists for the stores you KNOW you’re going to stop at. You may get some unexpected coupons/coupon codes that will help you save even more!
- Try to Avoid Impulse purchases (I’m bad at this as there are so many deals, it’s hard not to impulse purchase but AVOID it if you have the self control).
- COMPARE the prices of the big items you want through research.
- Don’t bring your purse. (Take a wristlet instead. It’s VERY crowded and purses can get in your way).
- Use the Credit Cards with the MOST rewards.
- Know the Store’s return policy & ALWAYS get gift receipts.
- Always get gift boxes if they’re available at the checkout.
- Don’t forget about Drugstores for CHEAP Stocking Stuffers.
Black Friday is the best time for deals. It’s really easy to go overboard though so be careful. I hope you all find the BEST DEALS and get tons of shopping done!
Do you have any great Black Friday tips? Let me know in the comments section. Be safe, have fun & snag those Black Friday Deals 🙂
“Don’t neglect the online deals” Yes to this! Comfort of my own home works for me!
There are AWESOME deals online too! Amazon is a great place to look for deals.
I’ve never shopped Black Friday sales but I think I might this year… With a new house, my shopping list is constantly growing haha
The deals on Black Friday are SO WORTH the crowds! Especially if you’re shopping for home goods – you’ll find some amazing deals 🙂
Wow! You have some amazing tips for Black Friday! I’d never heard of the SHOPULAR app…I can’t wait to look into it!
Thanks April! I came across the Shopular app by chance and am SO HAPPY I found it! They have amazing deals all year but especially on Black Friday 🙂
Yesssss to online deals! I was never one to deal with the crowds on Black Friday especially once they started creeping into Thanksgiving Day, but online is my jam. I also love the tip of looking for discounted gift cards.
Thank you Asha! I got really lucky one year finding discounted gift cards!
The online deals are my absolute favorite! I’ve braved the crowds a few years and had fun, but I prefer to shop in my jammies from my warm and cozy bed. These are great tips, thank you!
You’re welcome & thanks so much for your feedback. I completely agree about shopping in jammies – WAY more comfortable!
I LOVE the online deals!! My only problem is that I always end up sidetracked and wanting to buy everything for myself instead of gifts…..LOL.
I think we all struggle with that. The deals are just TOO GOOD!
Hi there, just became aware of your blog through
Google, and found that it is really informative.
I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
A lot of people will be benefited from your
Thank you 🙂
I have always ignored Black Fridays but these tips are making me eagerrrrr…. I will definitely be looking out for a lot of things this year. And yes to making a list!
The deals really are SO worth it!
Love this! This post gets me so excited, I love Black Friday, not even for the gifts but because it’s such a fun memory with my family. I didn’t know the Shopular app existed, but I have it now!
Thank you, Molly! The Shopular app is pretty awesome! I hope you find some amazing deals 🙂