The most important relationship we have in our lives is with ourselves. No – it’s not selfish. Some people spend so much time trying to please others that they completely forget about #1. It’s truly surprising how many people don’t truly know themselves. Some refer to it as – “their inner self.” I’ve been receiving a lot of questions on how a person can truly get to know that “inner self.” I believe the best way to get to know yourself – your REAL self, is to ask yourself questions that you may not even think of. Here are over 100 journal prompts to help you get to truly know the REAL YOU, aka “your inner self”:
Your Morals & Values
- What are 3 lines you would never cross?
- What qualities do you think make a person “good”?
- What do you perceive to be the worst thing you’ve ever done?
- What are some of the good things you have done in your life?
- Write down what values are the most important to you and with each one – describe why you hold those values so highly.
- Describe your “Moral Code/Moral Compass” and whether or not you believe you have been living by that.
- Write out a “Pledge”, stating all the values and morals you have – and the lines you won’t cross.
Your Goals & Hopes
- What do you want to be remembered for?
- What would you like to accomplish this month?
- What is your 5 year plan? If you don’t have one – make one & write down the steps you would need to take to get to your ultimate goal.
- When was the last time you truly challenged yourself? Write all about it.
- What changes do you want to make to your life, overall?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you like your job? Explain the pros and cons.
- What would you love to learn? Why?
- In which ways would you like to invest more in yourself?
- Do you think you make the most out of your time?
- What is the next large purchase you want to make?
- What are 10 places you want to visit?
- Describe your dream vacation.
- Do you want children? How many, if any? What would you name them?
Relationships in your Life
- What is the most important relationship in your life, (besides with yourself)?
- Who, if anyone, have you shut out of your life? Why?
- Is there are particular person you take your anger out on? Why do you think that is?
- Who, in your life, brings you the most comfort?
- Romantically – describe the aspects of what you would consider an “ideal relationship.”
- Are there are toxic people in your life? What makes them toxic? How are you going to change your relationship with that person?
- List all the people in your “Tribe” and the attributes about them that you love, or the ones you don’t enjoy so much.
- Who do you go to for advice?
- Write about a relationship with a person who had a significant impact on you.
- Write a letter of forgiveness to someone who has hurt you in the past. (You don’t have to send it, unless you want to 🙂
- Has anyone ever made you feel really uncomfortable? Why? Describe the situation.
- Have you ever been in love? What does being in love feel like? (If you haven’t, describe what you think being in love feels like, or should feel like).
- Is there anyone you would like to reconnect with? Why?
All About YOU
- What 3 pieces of advice would you have given yourself 5+ years ago?
- What makes you unique?
- What do you like to do for fun? Make a list.
- Where do you feel the most comfortable? Why?
- If you have 3 wishes, what would they be?
- What memories, if any, haunt you?
- Do you have any regrets? What are they?
- What are you most proud of?
- Morning person, Night Owl, or in between? Why?
- What book has had a true impact on you and why?
- What were your favorite items as a child?
- What brings you the most nostalgia from your child hood?
- Fill up a page with all the things that bring you joy.
- What do you find beautiful?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- List all your Interests.
- Describe your dream home. Extra points if you draw it.
- What are your favorite smells?
- What does “Home” mean to you?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- What do you think your favorite color says about you?
- If social media didn’t exist, how would you spend that time?
- What do you believe, regarding religion, and why?
- If you could make just one change in the world, what would it be?
- If you were an animal, which one would be and why?
- Do you ever question the ideologies of those around you? Which ideologies do you find the most questionable?
- How would you address violence in the world, if you could?
- What do you think are the 3 biggest issues in today’s society?
- Write down some quotes you live by or wish to live by.
- How do you feel about the universe?
- What images/items/beings are symbolic to you? What do they symbolize?
- What is your philosophy on life? Or – what do you believe is the meaning of life?
- Do you believe in the concept of “the soul”? Describe your beliefs on the topic.
- Nature or Nurture? Why?
- Do you ever experience self-doubt? In which parts of your life and why?
- How do you think others perceive you? Are you happy with that perception?
- How much do you care what others think about you?
- What do you fear?
- Who is someone that you look up to? Why?
- Do you feel that you judge people? Who?
- Do you ever feel judged? By who? On what basis do you feel you are being judged?
- What do you love about yourself?
- What qualities do you admire the most in others?
- How do you view the world?
Even More Prompts:
- If there was a movie about your life, what do you think the title would be? Who would be the main characters? The supporting characters?
- What song lyrics have really stuck with you?
- Write a poem about yourself, (it doesn’t have to rhyme), where everything you write is a lie. (The opposite of the real you).
- Write a letter to your body.
- Write about your most vivid dream.
- If you were dying and you had the chance to say something just before, what would you say? Who would you want to say it to?
- Which mythological creature do you wish were real? Why?
- Write down “the soundtrack of your life.”
- If you could be someone else for one day, who would it be and why?
- Write about a time when you succeeded in doing something you didn’t believe you could.
- Describe a day where you were incredibly happy.
- What is your favorite time of year and why?
- What’s your favorite holiday memory?
- What was the most thoughtful gift you’ve ever received?
It’s important to know yourself: your strengths, your weaknesses, what drives you, what holds you back and how you perceive the world and those around you. Getting deep into the core of our own belief systems is important. It enables us to find passion, love and meaningful relationships with ourselves & others.
These prompts will help you evaluate what it is that you believe in and deeply to get know yourself. Remember, the most important relationship we have, is with ourselves. We need to love ourselves, nurture ourselves and realize our goals, potential and what personally motivates each of us.
It’s my hope that in using these prompts, you get to deeply know yourself – as we all should. Always stay true to who you are 🙂
Much Love <3