“Treat others the way you wish to be treated” – a saying we’ve all heard. Small acts of kindness can go a long way. Somebody may be having a difficult day, and with a simple act of kindness, you could turn it around. Not only will acts of kindness help others, it will make you feel better about yourself. There’s a lot of hate in the world. Spreading kindness is a great way to be a light in the dark. Here are some small acts of kindness you should consider doing:
1. Pay for a Stranger’s Coffee
I was having a particularly difficult day sometime last year. Nothing seemed to be going right that day. I decided to go to Tim Horton’s for an Icy Cappuccino, (one of my favorite caffeinated drinks). A stranger in line ahead of me had payed for my coffee. It was only $3, but it made me smile and turned my pessimism to optimism for the rest of that day. 🙂
A smile can truly brighten a person’s day. Be sure to always smile at strangers. Smiles = Good vibes, something we all need more of.
There are lots of ways you can donate. Go through your closet and pack up all the clothes you’ll no longer wear. In fact, go through all the things you know you don’t need or wish to donate. Some examples are:
- Extra money
4. Give out Compliments
Like smiles, a compliment can turn someone’s day around. You don’t know how another person may be feeling on the inside, so passing out compliments to those you know, as well as strangers, is a small act of kindness that can have a huge impact.
5. Open Doors for Others
Be kind, hold the door for those entering behind you.
6. Write a Letter/Email to a person who has positively impacted your life
I had a fantastic Art teacher in high school who had a wonderful impact on my life. There are people we cross paths with in life who just give off wonderful vibes and sometimes amazing advice. Reach out to a person who has had a positive impact on your life and write them a letter or an email to thank them. It will certainly brighten their day.
7. Do something for your Partner that they normally do
This can be anything, really. If your partner is the one who usually does a certain household chore, (laundry, dishes, ect), do it for them one day. It’s the small acts of kindness like this that let your partner know you care and are thinking of them.
When you have some spare time, put it towards a selfless cause. There are lots of options for volunteering. Check locally and see if there’s a place you can volunteer to help others. Here’s a website to find Volunteer opportunities!
9. Call up a Relative or Old friend to see how they’re doing
Call your parents and tell them you love them. Text and old friend to see how they’re doing. Keep in contact with those you love and never let them forget what they mean to you.
11. Tip Generously
Always tip your Waiters/Waitresses/Delivery Folks/Bartender.
12. Cook a meal for a neighbor
Even if you have leftovers from your own meal, take it over to your neighbor. 🙂
13. Send a Care Package to a Solider
14. Give a stranger that Gift Card you’ll never use
We have all had gift cards we’ll never use. Pass them out to a stranger. If you’re feeling extra charitable, purchase some gift cards and give them to strangers.
15. Bring Dog Food/Cat Food food to a local shelter
Local animal shelters could always use extra pet food. Bringing food to a local shelter is an amazing act of kindness.
16. Send Flowers to a Random Hospital Patient or Nursing Home Resident
This small act of kindness could truly brighten a person’s entire week. 🙂
17. Offer to Babysit for a New Mom
If you’ve ever known a new mom or been one yourself, you know how overwhelmed they can become. Offer to babysit while a new mom has some much needed “me time.”
18. Hug your Friends & Family
Always give meaningful hugs to those you love. A hug goes a long way.
19. Leave a treat for your Mail Carrier
Mail carriers would certainly appreciate a bag of treats. 🙂
Other Small Acts of Kindness to Consider:
- Leave Spare change at the laundry mat
- Recycle your Plastic
- Help someone with yard work
- Assist someone who is carrying a lot of groceries
- Bake cookies/cupcakes for someone
- Bring donuts to work
- Encourage those around you
- Make a bird feeder
- Send Balloons to a patient at the hospital
- Bring your Doctor treats
- Leave Encouraging Notes on Stranger’s Cars
- Adopt a rescue animal
- Pick up Litter
- Hold the Elevator for others
- Offer a piece of gum to a stranger
- Encourage a stranger at the gym
- Ask others to “Pay it Forward”
Acts of kindness – small and large, spread good vibes. If you do something nice for someone everyday, that’s 365 acts of kindness. Always be good to each other. We’re all in this together 🙂