“A Quiet Place” was highly hyped as being so innovative in the horror genre. I would really like to know how? Is it because it nearly bores you to death? Is it because the characters have zero development over the entire film? I don’t know what people where thinking – noting that this film is SO scary. At the end, all I could think of was: “That’s it?”
2.5/10 Nerd Knows Rating
Honestly, I have a hard time even giving this movie THAT rating. Just as “It Follows”, the film takes a very interesting, unique idea and makes it a total bore! Why “A Quiet Place” earned this score (from my own Nerd-style ranker):
- The “Creatures” are in no way scary – just rip-off Predators missing all the cool bits.
- While the concept of a post-apocalyptic world where the creatures hunt using only sound IS a great concept. However, the story line was poorly executed.
- The characters remain FLAT throughout the film. They do not develop. They do not shock. They lack personality. Flat characters are a big bore.
- Lacking Horror Elements: There were no “jumpy scare scenes”, no “tension build-ups”, and nothing particularly frightening besides the idea of an “always present danger”, (that isn’t really discussed or alluded to most of the time).
- Most of what occurs in the movie could’ve happened in just a half hour and it would’ve been the same. There was no need for the movie to be an hour and a half.
The Only Redeemable Element of this film was the concept.
Yes – the concept was a good one, one that we haven’t really seen much of. However, it just drags out, doesn’t give you really any more information about these creatures other than what is seen in the previews.
A movie that was WAY too hyped for what it actually ends up being.
Very little suspense.
Zero Character development.
Flat, boring & highly overrated.
Geesh, I sound harsh, right? Sorry, but it’s just how I felt about “A Quiet Place”. I was very excited to see this movie and it was honestly a let-down. I know a lot of people enjoyed it – likely because of the originality concerning the creatures (that wasn’t used well).
What did you think of the movie? Let me know in the comment section.