It’s really easy to become sedentary. Moving around keeps up healthier and having a high step count each day is incredibly important. When I first bought my FitBit Charge 2, I was amazed at how little I was actually walking, in general. The first day I got it, I wanted to see on a typical day how many steps I really got. Want to know how few steps I was taking without focusing on it? It was less than 5,000 – embarrassing!
I like that the Fitbit alerts you ten minutes before the hour to take 250 steps if you already haven’t. So, that in and of itself is helpful. However, even when I began focusing on it and using it during workouts, I still wasn’t making the recommended goal of 10,000 steps a day. I’d had enough. I decided to find ways to get those steps up and so far, they have been working! Some may sound silly, but give em’ a try, seriously.
Step up! : Simple ways to get your Steps up Daily
- Walk in place while watching TV. I’m guilty of watching a lot of TV and movies at home. I used to sit there munching away on greasy ass food and generally being lazy as hell. Stand in front of your TV and walk in place. You can even step it up by doing other exercises during commercials. My steps increased a lot when I started doing this.
- Don’t park in the closest spot. Park further away from your destination. Going to the dreaded hell that is Wal-mart? Park wayyy in the back.
- Take the Stairs. Personally, the stair-master at the gym is a bitch. I don’t know how people do that for an hour (yikes! – more power to them though). But, as a general rule, don’t use the elevator wherever you’re at – use the stairs.
- When you’re on a break – take a walk. It never hurts to get fresh air either. Stroll around the neighborhood.
- The treadmill is your friend. I’m not a huge fan of the treadmill, it tends to hurt my feet for some reason but walk through the pain. I prefer the elliptical but get a lot more steps on the treadmill.
- Walk and Talk. Having a conversation with mom, dad, or a friend on the phone? Walk around while talking, don’t just sit there.
- Get a FitBit! I know I walked a whole hell of a lot less without mine. I personally love always being aware of my heart rate and tracking my goals. They’re a fantastic gadget. It’s like wearing a motivator on your wrist.
Want to stay motivated? Download this free printable to add to your gallery wall or just stick to the fridge: FREE Motivational Printable.
I hope these tips can help you get your steps up. Do you have any other ways to help boost the number of steps you get per day? Comment below!
Keep Living that healthy life 🙂